Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Singapore Fitness Coach Talk: Rehab - Adductor/Groin Strains

More than 1 year ago I had an adductor/Groin Strain. I am not even sure how I got it, but groin strains are part of playing sports where change of direction and quick acceleration and deceleration are common. Basketball, soccer, rugby etc.

As a fitness coach and sports performance coach in Singapore I deal with groin strains quite often.

The first thing about rehab is to train around the injury. NOT rest at home.

"Oh I'm injured, I'll lie in bed" is a wrong mindset for training with an injury. In general I recommend training stuff that does not hurt.

The limit is "dull pain for a few seconds after the exercise is over".

So sharp pain means stop immediately and so does dull pain that lasts a long time.

This recommendation helps blood flow to the area which boosts recovery, at the same time it is pretty sure not to re-injure that area.

Also, continuing training makes you feel empowered and it maintains strength in the rest of your body.

For adductor/groin strains, the exercises you choose should be of 2 kinds. As you can see in the video.
  • Wide Stance
  • Single Leg


Doing more of these also help prevent groin injuries (as well as a good warm-up and good movement mechanics).

Since then, my groin has been bullet proof! Yay!

No comments: