Thursday, March 13, 2008

Singapore Health, Fitness and Qualty of life - It is much cheaper to "save" than to "borrow"

I would like to think of myself as a fairly wise investor. I am no Warren Buffet of course but I do save as much as I can, and I do treat money with respect because it is an important thing. One of the main things about saving is compound interest. It makes saving one of the smartest things we can do.

A financial example I read recently: If I start saving for my future children's college education (yeah, its a while away and yes, I'm working on the children part) now, and I save $200 per month for 10 years in a decent fund with 6.8% returns, I will end up with about $34400. Enough for local tertiary education. No problem at all.

But if I borrow that amount and pay it back over 10 years at the same 6.8% interest, I pay back $400 per month! Thats DOUBLE!!!

Not smart at all.

But this is exactly what people do with health isn't it? No resources (time, money, brain power etc) spent spent on health and fitness most of their life, but then 1 sudden illness or surgery and ugh the payback is really high. Not just financially but also emotionally

I really encourage all the people around me to invest in health. Because there is no real way to "pay it back" later. Anyway it only takes 3 hours of proper exercise per week to maintain health! That's less than most people watch TV per day!

Ohoh, future health problems coming...

No comments: