Saturday, March 15, 2008

Singapore Fitness Coach Talk: How come fitness truth is so rare!

Unfortunately there is money to be made in the Singapore fitness industry (or just about anywhere, but in Singapore it is not a very regulated industry).

Nothing wrong with that!

I do make a living helping people of all ages achieve their health, fitness, performance and appearance goals.

But if only there was more truth being spread, there would be far more people getting excellent results form their fitness program.

I was at a lunch with some of my father's friends. Because of my experiences as a personal trainer and sports performance professional, I got asked many health, sports and fitness related questions.

Sad to say, I feel that we (myself included) as fitness professionals in Singapore, have not done that great a job so fat at spreading the word about what are the truths and what are the lies that will affect the average person who wants to maintain their health and quality of life.

My dad's friends were educated professionals in the finance industry but they had many of the same misconceptions that happen on internet forums filled with 14 year old kids.

Some of their misconceptions:

  • Back health and core training - more crunches for you? NO!
  • The basics of good nutrition - is a calorie a calorie? NO!
  • What should a training program look like? - From warmup to program design...
  • Jogging, thats what keeps me in shape - If you like it and have good running mechanics sure, but for most people, that isn't the case (and it isn't the best use of your time)
  • More food makes me fat - More food makes you leaner! Unless its BAD food.
Not everybody once thought that the earth was round. Clearing up misconceptions takes time. Good thing we have the internet and since I can't speak to everybody person to person, I can do my part by writing good articles that can hopefully save you time, money and injury! My free e-book is also available for download at my homepage.
I recommend a large serving of TRUTH to help you reach your fitness, performance and appearance goals!

No comments: